RBI has classified the holidays into three categories – holidays under the Negotiable Instruments Act, holidays under the Negotiable Instruments Act and Real-Time Gross Settlement, and bank closings.
New Delhi: Banks will remain closed for 12 days in the month of August, apart from six weekends, according to the vacation schedule of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). As per the schedule, the coming month is filled with national and religious festivities, including Raksha Bandhan, Janmashtami and Independence Day. RBI has released a list of days in August on which banks will be closed on account of national or regional festivals, and days of special observance.
It is to be noted that RBI has classified the holidays into three categories – holidays under the Negotiable Instruments Act, holidays under the Negotiable Instruments Act and Real-Time Gross Settlement, and bank closings.
Here’s the full list of bank holidays for the month of August:
- August 1: Drukpa Tshe-zi — Gangtok
- August 8: Muharram (Ashoora) — Jammu, Srinagar
- August 9: Muharram (Ashoora) — Agartala, Ahmedabad, Aizawl, Belapur, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chennai, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur, New Delhi, Patna, Raipur and Ranchi
- August 11: Raksha Bandhan — Ahmedadabad, Bhopal, Dehradun, Jaipur, and Shimla
- August 12: Raksha Bandhan — Kanpur, and Lucknow
- August 13: Patriot’s Day — Imphal
- August 15: Independence Day — All over India
- August 16: Parsi New Year (Shahenshahi) — Belapur, Mumbai, and Nagpur
- August 18: Janmashtami — Bhubaneswar, Dehradun, Kanpur and Lucknow
- August 19: Janmashtami (Shravan Vad-8)/ Krishna Jayanthi — Ahmedabad, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Gangtok, Jaipur, Jammu, Patna, Raipur, Ranchi, Shillong and Shimla
- August 20: Sri Krishna Ashtami — Hyderabad
- August 29: Tithi of Srimanta Sankardeva — Guwahati
- August 31: Samvatsari (Chaturthi Paksha)/Ganesh Chaturthi/ Varasiddhi Vinayaka Vrata/ Vinayakar Chathurthi — Ahmedabad, Belapur, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Chennai, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Nagpur and Panaji