All Manipur-bound trains have been cancelled by the northeast frontier following an advisory from the Manipur government to stop train movements due to violence in the state. An order has been given to shoot rioters on sight in extreme cases. Mobile internet and broadband services have been suspended in the state and over 9,000 people have been evacuated from violence-hit areas. Heavy deployment of Army and Assam Rifles has been deployed after fresh cases of arson were reported.
The northeast frontier has cancelled all Manipur-bound trains following violence in the state. The decision was taken after the Manipur government advised to stop train movement. Speaking to ANI, Sabyasachi De, CPRO of NF Railway, said, “No trains are entering Manipur till the situation is improved. The decision has been taken after the Manipur government advised to stop train movement.”
Meanwhile, in the wake of the deteriorating law and order situation in the state, an order to shoot rioters on sight in extreme cases was issued Thursday. The Army was called in to control the situation as it escalated after overnight violence in tribal areas as they resist any attempt by the government to include the majority Meitei community in the scheduled tribe list.
- All Manipur-bound trains are cancelled.
- Shoot at site order issued in “extreme cases”.
- Mobile internet and broadband services have been suspended in the state.
- Over 9,000 people have been evacuated from the violence-hit areas.
- BJP MLA Vungzagin Valte was attacked by a mob in Imphal. He is in hospital and his condition is critical.
- 55 columns of Army and Assam Rifles have been deployed.
- Despite the heavy deployment of security forces, fresh cases of arson were reported Thursday.
- Several houses and vehicles were set ablaze in various parts, including Imphal Valley inhabited mostly by the Meitei.