At least 50 women workers fell sick after a gas leak at a chemical company in Andhra Pradesh’s Atchyutapuram district.
As many as 50 women workers were rushed to hospital on Tuesday following a gas leak at an apparel manufacturing unit in the Brandix Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in Andhra Pradesh’s Atchyutapuram district. Initial reports suggest that women employees fell unconscious due to vomiting and nausea.
Women workers had fallen sick allegedly after inhaling some poisonous gas at Quantum Seeds, a unit in Brandix in Anakapalli district.
As per Anakapalle Police, a few women fell ill after a gas leak was reported in a company located in Achutapuram. Some of them have been rushed to a local hospital. Police were waiting for APPCB officials to arrive and assess the situation and no one was allowed to enter inside the premises.
According to Ankapalle Inspector of Police, ‘The incident took place between 6:15 pm to 7 pm. There were around 1000 employees in the second shift, which was between 2 pm to 10 pm. 50 women complaining of vomiting and nausea were shifted to Ankapalle Hospital.”
“All others have been evacuated. The situation is under control. The employees fell sick with mild symptoms and are undergoing treatment. The reason for the incident is yet to be known. No fatalities have been reported,” police officer said.